Sunday AAR (18MAR2018)
The Sunday After Action Review is a collection of the best articles that we’ve read this week.
Know of a good article or blog that we should read? Please let us know in the comments.
- Doug Nordman retired from the Navy at the age of 41. He wrote about it in the Get Rich Slowly blog. Check out his advice for savings, thoughts on staying in, and enjoying retirement.
- Military Dollar introduced us to DOD SkillBridge – it’s a relatively new program that allows personnel transitioning out of the military to spend the last 180 days of service working and training at a civilian job. This is a totally new one to me and something I definitely would have used when I transitioned.
- What does “making it” look like to the average American?
- Another one from Mustard Seed Money – this one about the difference between that which shall not be mentioned (cough, bitcoin, cough) and blockchain. It’s a good read for background. Blockchain is here to stay; it’s a useful technology with some innovative applications. Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are entirely speculative.
- Here’s a crazy good deal – get MS Office for $9.95. There’s also a general 10% discount for other Microsoft products. Better than nothing, but Office for $9.95 is outstanding. For perspective I’m paying $12.95 PER MONTH for almost the exact same software.
- The hardest question in personal finance: How much money do I need to retire? Answer: It depends.
- This guy has enough (article from 2007). He amassed $500,000 stock portfolio while making $20K a year as a parking lot attendant. Earl Crawley is something of a minor investing celebrity: video on YouTube. “Mr. Earl” is an inspiration. Note: $20K is E-1 basic pay after 4 months, and there’s no way he’s getting room and board working for a parking lot.