Sunday AAR (22APR2018)
The Sunday After Action Review is a collection of the best articles that we’ve read this week.
Know of a good article or blog that we should read? Please let us know in the comments.
- A Shocking Comparison for Tax Day – Regardless of how you feel politically spending on taxes is huge.
- The economics of a military draft – This article from a few weeks ago came across my feed on Friday. It’s a short, interesting read. Note this site hijacks web browser history so the link is set to open in another tab.
- I Will Invest When the Market Drops – …said almost every investor at one time or another. This is a detailed discussion including historical data that shows how hard it is to time the market. For almost everyone the best plan is to set up a systematic investment plan and stick to it. Step 1: Max out your retirement accounts.
- Nearly One-Third of U.S. Lottery Winners Declare Bankruptcy – It doesn’t matter how much loot you have, it can be spent. Interestingly, neighbors of lottery winners go bankrupt more often too. It’s hard to keep up with the Joneses when they have a huge windfall, at least in the short run.
- Investing With Nickels and Dimes – (article from 2007). This is a rerun from March and is a great contrast to lottery winners. This guy amassed $500,000 stock portfolio while making $20K a year as a parking lot attendant. Earl Crawley is something of a minor investing celebrity: video on YouTube. “Mr. Earl” is an inspiration. Note: $20K is E-1 basic pay after 4 months, and there’s no way he’s getting room and board working for a parking lot.
- How Training Like an Athlete Can Help You Become a Millionaire – Another good one from Mustard Seed Money. Most of our previous sports links are about athletes blowing it all. Here’s how a sports mindset can improve focus and discipline. Think like an athlete, don’t spend like one!