Sunday AAR (02SEP2018)
The Sunday After Action Review is a collection of the best articles that we’ve read this week.
Know of a good article or blog that we should read? Please let us know in the comments.
- Could Index Funds Become Too Popular? – We are strong proponents of index funds. See step 6 or our guide to financial independence. This isn’t exactly an edgy position. Generally, the more popular an investment, the lower its returns. Ben Carlson discusses whether this will happen with the indexing strategy.
- How to get rich and stay rich – This is a solid review of a book that I’m not familiar with. It’s now on my reading list.
- Net Worth by Age Calculator for the United States – I found this tool interesting to play with. You select your age and it kicks out a graph of the net worth by percentile of your peer group. The site has a lot of other calculators and visualizations for personal finance junkies.
- Just How Much Does America’s 1% Have In Savings? – Another look at savings in the U.S. Basically the average means nothing. It’s skewed by the top 1% that have a huge amount of savings. Even so, don’t pat yourself on the back if you’re above average. Keep saving – the average still isn’t enough. Good reading in the comments on this article as well.
- The Value of $100 In Each State – This is a discussion of the most recent data comparing the cost of living in each state. A year ago my family moved from #50 (DC metro) to a cheap area in a cheap state. The difference is dramatic. Housing is 1/6 the cost and childcare is 1/3.
- Why I’m Glad I Waited Until My 40s to Become a Homeowner – Here’s one person’s exploration of what could have gone wrong. We discuss this at length in Step 7 of our guide to financial independence.
- How To Live Without A Credit Card – it’s not easy, but there are benefits
- A ‘sell-by’ date for employees? – Ageism is a thing – very much illegal, but quite hard to prove. It’s yet another reason to save while you’re young.
- A Blockchain Explainer – I’ve made no secret of my opinion that bitcoin sucks as an investment. Since December it’s down 65%. There is some very interesting technology under the covers. This article explains it in plain English.
- 7 Reasons to Prioritize Retirement Savings Over College Savings – This is a particularly good analysis to help set savings priorities.
- Serena Williams tried to deposit her first million-dollar check in the bank drive-thru – She got her sensible view about money from her father. I love me some articles about athletes living right.