Sunday AAR (12AUG2018)
The Sunday After Action Review is a collection of the best articles that we’ve read this week. Know of a good article or blog that we should read? Please let us know in the comments.
- Money is Everything – This is a total click-bait title, which he owns up to in the comments. There’s no shying away from the power and importance of money here.
- Getting Carded – As I mentioned last week I just read Dave Ramsey’s personal finance classic The Total Money Makeover. Dave would say that the credit rating doesn’t matter. This is a naive view. This guest post on The Humble Dollar discusses the best way to use your credit card to help your kids build a credit history.
- At Least Online, Interest Rates on Savings Finally Move Up – Higher interest rates sting when you’re borrowing, but if you’re sitting on cash returns will suck a little less than they have been.
- Is Having a Mortgage a Great Way to Force Savings? – We talked about this in Step 7. Lots to consider here. I have a mortgage and am taking steps to pay it off in short order. Others may want to keep the debt and be more liquid. One item discussed here is that a lot of the tax benefits are now either gone or no longer applicable.
- Why it’s so hard to predict the next bear market – I’ve mentioned it a few times in these posts – market timing is a loser’s game. I’m a recovering market timer. Seriously – not wanting to be a hypocrite has kept me from selling, AND made me a good deal of money.
- Put Yourself In a Position to Get Lucky – A repost of a great one from the White Coat Investor.
- Fed Up – The economy has been and continues to be great. Thank the Federal Reserve? I don’t know. What I do know is that Cramer had an epic rant on CNBC about the fed and this article prompted me to dig it up on YouTube. The fun starts at 2:00.