Military Monday – Money News You Can Use on 20 AUG 2018
It’s Monday, so I wanted to give you some military-specific financial news that you can use:
- If you haven’t digested the changes resulting from the FY19 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA 19), here are two good articles to read from Stars & Stripes:
- If you are a military spouse and you’d be interested in buffing up your financial knowledge, check out this article entitled, “50 Military Spouses Sought for Financial Fellowship.”
- If you’re a veteran, Comcast is now offering high-speed Internet service for $9.95 a month, laptop purchases for $150, and free digital literacy training through local community partners. You have to be a “low income” veteran who receives federal or state public assistance, but they don’t give an income anywhere in the article. You have to apply to see if you are approved.
- If you’re a retiree, your dental insurance is changing come 2019. Read about the details.
- On 28 AUG at 11:00 am – 12:30 pm EDT the Military Families Learning Network is having a free webinar entitled “FAMILY FINANCES SERIES: FINANCIAL PLANNING FOR LIFE EVENTS.” In this 90-minute webinar, they will talk about preparing for the inevitable circumstances that life throws our way. Divorce, untimely death, health crises, marriage, remarriage, widowhood, home-buying, and retirement. They’ll talk about using savings and insurance as protective barriers against the financial distress these events can cause and recovery plans to regain lost finances and starting again on a reduced income.
- I’m pretty sure I already talked about this, but just in case I’m wrong or you missed it, the NDAA 19 restored the previously reduced long-term per diem rates. The details are on this page.
- If you shop at Lowe’s, here’s a good page from the Military Money Manual that explains how to get their military/veteran discount.
- Eligibility for Military OneSource benefits has been extended from the current 180 days to 365 days after separation or retirement from military service to ensure all service members and families have access to comprehensive support as they transition to civilian life. They have some financial resources on there. That is also where you can access MilTax for free to do your taxes come tax time.
- Finally, we love T-Mobile’s new military mobile phone deal, and they just sweetened the deal even more by giving users a free one-year subscription to Pandora Plus.