Military Monday – Money News You Can Use on 3 SEP 2018
(Affiliate links – where possible we use affiliate links to help support the blog. They cost you nothing, but help us keep the lights on.)
It’s Monday, so I wanted to give you some military-specific financial news that you can use:
- We’ve written about the sweet deal for service members on the American Express Platinum card as well as a way to get hundreds or thousands of dollars back from American Express just by proving you’re in the military. This post from The Military Money Manual goes through the active duty deals from Chase. They have some pretty lucrative credit card deals that compare to the American Express Platinum card. If you’re interested, check out the article. If you’re interested in seeing some cards from Chase, you can see them at this link.
- Here’s a YouTube page from the Department of Defense Office of Financial Readiness. On it are some videos you might find useful, like the one that helps you decode your Leave and Earnings Statement.
- This article from the Military Families Learning Network reviews some financial issues to think about if you are going to be living with another service member.
- Google is helping veterans transition into the civilian workplace. If job seekers enter ‘jobs for veterans’ — using single quotation marks or no quotation marks — into the Google search bar, a tool will come up that will match the user’s military occupational specialty code with job listings that require similar skills.
- Here’s a link from the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) that tackles some of the frequently asked questions about TRICARE coverage. Topics discussed include the upcoming changes in retiree dental and vision coverage, TRICARE for Life, and the rising cost shares.
- Another MOAA article details how the cost of living increases are calculated and applied to military pensions. Since we all know that just staying in to get a pension is the easiest way to get rich, you might want to check out this post and see what your future holds.
- The Military Wallet explains in detail which types of properties you can and cannot purchase with a VA loan. He also reviews Veterans United Home Loans, a VA home loan specialist.